Monday, February 11, 2013

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Protein Mug Cake

I have a confession to make. I have a little bit of a problem. I am a complete and total choco-holic, but not only that. I must come "clean" about my addiction to mug cakes! Seriously, I have gone a little mug cake slap-happy lately. There is something about a 3 minute healthy cake that just beckons to me, and I can't stay away! The best part? This completely satisfies my appetite, fuels my muscles with an abundance of protein, and crushes my cravings for sweets all in one fell swoop! I just can't get enough. Did I mention that I am addicted?

Sweet, healthy mug cakes like this have literally saved my hiney in recent times. My boyfriend has a little bit of a donut problem. And when I say little, I mean he comes home with a ½ dozen donuts every 2-3 days and downs them all in about 1-2 hours flat. If I am not careful, his donut problem could quickly become my donut problem! It is the craziest thing, though. He eats all these sugar and fat laden donuts, but has more defined abs to show for it! MEN, right?! Sometimes, life just isn't fair. Thank goodness for these sweet little clean treats!

Low calorie and nutrient dense, this cake is perfect for any chocolate addict looking for killer macros and a little guilt-free indulgence!



Chocolate Covered Strawberry Protein Mug Cake

Serves: 1 person
Calories: 304
Macros: 22g of Carbs
               10g of Fat
               34g of Protein




For the Cake:
1 ½ Tbsp Coconut Flour
1 Scoop Vanilla Casein Protein Powder (or chocolate if you have it, I don't!
½ tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Egg
¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
1 Tbsp Unsweetened Natural Apple Sauce
1 Strawberry, cubed
Stevia, to taste

Mix ingredients together in a mug, making sure it is throughly mixed. Batter is thick! Microwave for 3 ½ minutes. Let the cake sit in the mug after it is finished in the microwave to ensure that is finishes cooking and sets nicely.

For the Topping:
2 Tbsp Fat Free Greek Yogurt (I use Fage 0%)
½ Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
½ Tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
Stevia, to taste
3 Strawberries, cubed or sliced

Mix thoroughly and pour over the top of the mug cake. Garnish with strawberries.

My Tip: At the sacrifice of a few extra calories (about 40 if you have self control), drizzle with ½ Tbsp of Raw Agave Syrup for a little extra sweetness!



2 comments:

  1. Hi! this looks delish! If you can't eat eggs is there an alternative ingredient to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! :)

      I have not tested these, because I have never substituted eggs, but I have read that you can use baking soda and baking powder, yogurt, buttermilk, or pureed fruit! Here is the site where I found these: http://www.egglesscooking.com/egg-substitutes/

      Delete